Open your fridge doors. What is the first thing you notice? I’m going to go out on a limb here and assume that pleasant smells don’t waft out of your refrigerator. In all likelihood, you’re hit with a pungent smell. You’re not proud of it, at the least.
Fridges get dirty fast. Unfortunately, it’s also not something we’re super stoked about cleaning. And, listen, I get it. Cleaning out your refrigerator can be very overwhelming. You use it multiple times per day, but it’s also the appliance where things go to die.
But here’s the thing: When we take care of the crumbs, dried milk flakes, moldy produce, and random elastics, it will change how we feel about the entire kitchen. The pleasure of meal prep is dependent on the state of the fridge.
So, let’s do an overhaul of this stinky fridge together and reclaim your kitchen!
When you buy through our links, we may earn a small commission.
Step 1 – Empty The Entire Fridge
The key to effective deep cleaning is to give yourself a clean slate to work with. This means emptying out the refrigerator before doing anything else.
- Start by removing everything from your fridge and checking expiry dates. Toss the salad dressing from 2018 and any moldy or slimy items. And if it’s something nobody in your family will eat, donate it! (Assuming it’s unopened, of course.)
- Add a teaspoon of powdered Tide® and a splash of bleach to a sink of hot water.
- Wipe down all the jars and condiment containers. (We’re looking at you, grape jelly jar with sticky drips all around the edge.) If you use organizers or turntables in your fridge, these will also need washing out as well.
Pro Tip: Do this step right before a big grocery trip when there’s less food in the fridge.
Step 2 – Vacuum Out The Empty Fridge
Yes, you read that right! Vacuum out your fridge. Nothing will do the job better. Use a horse-hair brush (USA) (Canada) (if you have one) to suck up all the crumbs and food bits from every shelf and crevice.
Not only is vacuuming out the fridge fast and easy, but it’s also a lot less gross. Rather than grabbing big crumbs and other gunk with a paper towel, you can suck it up at arm’s length.
Step 3 – Wipe Out The Inside
Once all the crumbs are gone, remove all the drawers and shelves. Again, please let glass shelves sit at room temperature to warm up.
- With the same WBT mixture (start with a fresh mixture if the water is dirty from step 1), wipe down the fridge walls and shelf brackets. See how much easier this is when there are no crumbs to wipe up? (You can thank us later.)
Step 4 – Wash The Shelves And Drawers
When the glass has warmed and is ready to be washed, scrub everything in the sink. Extra sticky messes may require soaking.
We like to air dry everything. Place them on an old towel that you don’t mind getting bleach on.
Once dry, use Windex® to polish the glass shelves and clear organizers. Make them shine!
Step 5 – Replace The Shelves And Drawers
Now that you have clean shelves, and drawers, it’s time to reassemble your clean refrigerator and restore order in the kitchen! Here are some tips:
- Put your shelves back in a functional way for you. The way it came when you purchased it is not always practical.
- Always line your drawers with a paper towel. This will help if things spill or go moldy.
- Open a new box of baking soda and leave it in the fridge to absorb smells. This will need to be replaced every two months. Be smart and put the date on the container when you open it. Your future self will thank you.
Step 6 – Organize And Replace Food Items
When most people try to organize their fridge, they attempt to do so by simply shuffling items around. But since you already have an empty fridge, this is a much easier task.
- Organize everything in like-groupings and for easy access. The items you use multiple times a day should not be kept on the top shelf at the back.
- Turntables are great for keeping condiments together (USA) (Canada). Salad dressings and sauces are best suited for door shelves, but we aren’t telling you how to live your life.
- Fruits and vegetables belong in drawers with venting; open them as directed on the drawers. These are designed to keep perishable foods fresh longer.
Step 7 – Freezer Deep Clean
You can follow all the same tips above for cleaning your freezer.
- Most bottom freezers have removable drawers. These will need to thaw longer before washing them out. Leaving the door open for a short while will allow you to wipe down racks without your cloth sticking to them.
- Discard any items that have been in there too long, Toss those 12 frozen bananas and vacuum up the loose peas we know are in there.
Step 8 – Wipe Down The Outside
Now for the final step of the process: Cleaning the outside of the fridge – a.k.a. the part you stare at all day.
- For stainless-steel fridges, wipe the front and side of doors with a clean damp cloth. Allow them to fully dry before polishing. Spray Weiman® Stainless Steel liberally on your paper towel or directly on the doors.
- Be careful when you spray not to get it on your floors, as it will leave a film.
- Wipe with the grain of your steel, typically left to right. Don’t rub the product in too much. The doors will soak up any excess streaks; you just have to be patient and wait.
- If you don’t have a stainless-steel fridge, wipe the exterior doors with good old hot water and Tide
Now when you go get new groceries, you will enjoy putting them away and leaving room for new functional organization.
Replace the paper towel when they become soiled, to keep the fridge fresh. Wipe all spills on jars and condiment containers after each use. The next time you clean your refrigerator, it will be a breeze.
Stand back and enjoy. Doesn’t it look so much brighter?!
For a list of our favorite products, click here.
– Katie W @ GoCleanCo
We're big on Instagram.
Follow @GoCleanCo for seriously satisfying videos and top-secret tips. Don’t be shy, come say hi.
I’m in the hot seat answering your burning questions on @downy Rinse & Refresh! I’ve been using the new @downy Rinse & Refresh for a while now, and this stuff is so good at making your fabrics fresh on the daily. Odors get trapped in fabric because we have a residue (like minerals, hard water, or body oils) coating the fabrics. @downy Rinse & Refresh breaks down the residues and helps eliminate the odors. You put it in the fabric softener dispenser cup and wash with your regular detergent (I use Tide in case you are new around here). Plus, it is safe for all washable fabrics. I just used it on my musty towels and it blew my mind! What have you tried Rinse & Refresh on? Tell me in the comments! #ad #downypartner #odorisnttheend
Petition to have all toilet seats removable from now until the end of time. Sign below ⬇️ #cleaningtips
Needed this to live on the feed forever cause you folks ask me about it everyday. This is the @malibucpro hard water treatment I use on my hair. If you have super hard water, it sticks to your hair just like your shower doors. It makes your hair coated and feel like straw—your shampoo doesn’t work as well and your hair feels limp and lifeless. It’s super to easy to use, you can do it at home and it’s safe for highlighted/colour treated hair. Linked it up in both our Amazon storefronts and on stories. @hairhouseyeg 💁🏼♀️ #hairtutorial
Dawn Platinum means serious business. Did you know that 3 bottles of the leading non-concentrated dish liquid equals ONE bottle of Dawn Platinum? @dawndishwash has a powerful formula to help you get through more dishes with less product, which will save you some moola plus you can use it outside of the kitchen! Dawn Platinum cleans windows and BBQ grills, tire rims…anywhere you need to fight a greasy mess, you can reach for Dawn Platinum. We love Dawn Ultra around here, but Dawn Platinum is even more concentrated so it’s the best grease-cutting you can get. You know it works on dishes but where else are you using Dawn, outside of the kitchen sink? Share your best stories below so I can test them out! #ad #dawnpartner
If you give a Mom a coffee…😵💫 ☕️ Don’t overdo it this week leading up to your big “day off”. #happymothersday
April in nutshell. #springcleaning
dump scare > jump scare
DING 🛎️ DING 🛎️ DING 🛎️ If you guessed: Spray Tan Residue, you win 5 gold ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ and bragging rights to your friends. #dontdothisathome
You each get one guess: GO! #springcleaning
Check out my IG Live on Wednesday—I'll be chatting with P&G dishwashing scientist, Morgan Eberhard, to answer all your burning questions about the new Cascade Platinum Plus. Remember…the dishwasher pod that blew all your minds a couple weeks ago?! It’s the solution we have all been waiting for; cabinet-ready dishes without pre-rinsing or the need to dry them out of the dishwasher. My DM’s were DEEP when I showed you Cascade Platinum Plus in action and tbh, I didn’t think loading the dishwasher could get so many people steamed up! Drop your questions below so we can answer them on the live with Morgan. She knows her stuff —she’s a legit 👩🏼🔬 folks. #sponsored #cascadeplatinumplus #cascadepartner
Happy National Laundry Day! Not sure why we need a national day for laundry since we do it everyday but hey hey I’m always in the mood to hug a box of tide so here we are! Anyways, in celebration of Laundry Day, we have a blog post all about my new washer and dryer to answer your pressing questions. It will live on the blog so you can go back and check when (touch wood) your machine kicks the bucket. Link is in our bio to read! #laundryday
Nothing like a few before and afters to get your asses motivated! Remember you can start one drawer a day and build from there if you don’t know where to start. Also, try to rope in some friends to help you—6 hands are better than one! Pick a designated day each week for about a month and get everyone together and tackle projects around your homes together. It’s way more fun to clean/organize someone else’s house. Trust me, I made a business out of it. 😉 #springcleaning
Vacuum round up and break down of how they made it into our Amazon Storefront in stories today! We are also planning a Vacuum Fight Club…so drop your favs or the ones you want to see us test in the comments and I’ll hook us up.
#sponsored Did you know that household bleach is derived from sodium chloride - common table salt? During household use, it breaks down to mostly salt and water. Did you also know that you can use Clorox® Disinfecting Concentrated Bleach to keep your flowers beautiful longer? Wearing gloves, add ¼ tsp. of Clorox® Disinfecting Concentrated Bleach to every 1.27 L of water you use in the flower vase and stir well to mix. Make sure to trim off the end of each flower stem before arranging it, to increase absorption. Check your flowers weekly and refresh the water as needed. Just mix up a fresh batch of Clorox® Disinfecting Concentrated Bleach and water solution. #yeahbleachdoesthat @clorox_canada
Wanted to catch y’all before you had breakfast. #cleaningmotivation
Some products you just have to see to believe. 🤯 Cascade Platinum Plus is a brand new product (you might have seen it on the shelves already) that is changing the GAME for your dishwashing routine. For years we’ve been doing work that really should be our dishwasher’s job! Spoiler alert: it’s not your dishwasher, it’s your dish detergent. TBH I was skeptical when @mycascade told me not to rinse and to let the dishes SIT OVERNIGHT BEFORE WASHING THEM but here we are. #sponsored #cascadepartner
It’s the final week of the Spring Cleaning Challenge! How y’all doing? Thrown in the towel yet?! This round was fast and dirty (in the best way possible) and I’m telling ya—it feels like a fever dream 😮💨 😵💫 I’ll be recovering on my heating pad come Monday. #springcleaning
Spring cleaning isn’t over until we clean the windows. Sparkling windows make all the difference, you can actually see outside and let the sunshine in! I have a Spring Cleaning offer with @oceansalesltd up in my stories, it is a package deal with the AquaBLADE and the Carbon Tuff Cloths. Check it out! #sponsored
Carpet Cleaner Fight Club 👊🏻 coming at you 3.23.23 get your 🍿 and pull up a 🪑 *Carpets were harmed in the making of this video* #springcleaning
Remember to change your mop head every once in awhile 😎 @hairhouseyeg #shorthair