We use toasters day in and day out. For most they sit on the counter accumulating oils, crumbs and grime over time. To keep our toasters working and looking their best they need a good regular cleaning. So stop loafing around and let’s bring the shine back to your toasters and toaster ovens.
Before tackling your toaster appliances, check user manuals for any cleaning instructions or recommendations from the manufacturer.
How to clean your pop-up toaster in 4 easy steps:
1. Unplug your toaster from the power source and ensure the toaster is completely cool to the touch.
2. Get the crumbs out.
- Remove the crumb tray from the bottom of the toaster (usually located on the back or bottom) and empty. Clean the tray in warm water and Blue Dawn® dish soap, dry thoroughly and place aside.
- Grab your toaster and turn it upside down over your sink or garbage, and shake to remove all excess crumbs or debris.
- To clean the slots use a small brush (or toothbrush) to dislodge any stubborn crumbs.
- Turn the toaster upside down again and shake to get the last of the crumbs out.
3. Clean the exterior.
- Using a damp cloth with warm water and Blue Dawn® dish soap, wipe the exterior of the toaster and the cord. Dry with a cloth.
- For stubborn burnt spots at the top of the slots, use a dab of Bar Keeper’s Friend® on a damp cloth to buff it out, then wipe with a clean damp cloth to rinse.
- Shine it up. For stainless steel, use Weiman® Stainless Steel Cleaner. For plastic, use Windex®.
4. Put it all back.
- Place the crumb tray back into the toaster.
- Ensure everything is completely dry before plugging it back in, and testing the toaster.
Pro Tip: If you’ve accidentally melted a bread bag onto the top of your slots (guilty), use a heat gun to re-melt the plastic and scrape it off with a popsicle stick or something of that nature.
How to clean your toaster oven in 5 easy steps:
- Unplug and allow to cool down to avoid any risk of burns or electrocution.
- Clean removable parts.
- Take out any removable parts, such as a crumb tray, racks and accessories and wash in warm water and Blue Dawn® dish soap. Use a non-abrasive sponge.
- For any stubborn spots, spray with Dawn® Powerwash and allow to sit for 10 minutes then wipe and rinse. Place aside and let dry completely.
- Clean the interior.
- Vacuum out the interior of your toaster oven (or use a dry cloth or scrub brush to wipe the crumbs out).
- Then use a damp cloth or sponge with warm water and Blue Dawn® dish soap to wipe down the interior of the oven, including the sides, bottom, top and door. Avoid getting water on any heating elements. For any persistent stains or stubborn, stuck on foods, spray Dawn® PowerWash and let it sit for 10 minutes. Use a scrub brush to gently scrub, then rinse with a damp cloth.
- Clean the exterior.
- Wipe down the exterior of the toaster oven (and the cord) using a damp cloth with warm water and Blue Dawn® dish soap. Wipe with a dry cloth to dry.
- Shine it up. For stainless steel, use Weiman® Stainless Steel Cleaner. For plastic exteriors and the glass door, use Windex®.
- Put it all back.
- Place the crumb tray, racks and accessories back into the oven.
- Ensure everything is dry, plug it back in and test it.
To keep your toaster working in tip-top shape for years to come, add these to your regular cleaning routine:
- Empty the crumb tray regularly.
- Check your toaster oven after each use and clean up spills once it’s cooled.
- Avoid squeezing in and overfilling the toaster slots with bread or other items..
- Don’t toast things in your pop-up toaster that aren’t meant to be put in there, like grilled cheese or other greasy foods. Use your toaster oven for that.
- Ensure appliances are in a safe place away from water sources, and excessive heat and steam that could damage internal components. Keep flammable items away from the toaster, and leave about 2 inches clear around the toaster oven for air circulation.
We tend to think of small appliances as easily replaceable but a little care and attention will greatly extend their life expectancy.
- Denise @GoCleanCo